The Caples House Museum and Knapp Center occupy a whole city block in the historic locality of Columbia City, Oregon. Here, in 1870, on the banks of the beautiful Columbia River and with a majestic view of Mount St. Helens, Dr. Charles Green Caples built his two-story home from logs cut near Monticello, Washington, which is now called Longview, Washington. Perched on a hillside above the Columbia River, the historic home of the Caples family is a time capsule in history.
In 1959, the Caples' daughter, Dell Caples Houghton, bequeathed the house, and its immediate surroundings to the Oregon State Society, NSDAR, for use as a museum. The property included the historic Caples house, tool shed, barn, a remnant portion of the Caples' historic apple and pear orchard, and four non-historic buildings. The house and tool shed remain in excellent historic condition.
On a hillside west of the entrance to Champoeg State Heritage Area, above the banks of the Willamette River, stands the Newell Pioneer Village. Within the village are the Robert Newell House Museum, Pioneer Mothers Memorial Cabin, Butteville School, the Butteville Jail, and a newly built barn. The Newell Pioneer Village often hosts living history interpretation and reenactment events for adults and children.
Newell Pioneer Village offers various dinners, teas, dancing, festivals, picnics, caroling, and more with vintage treats and music to entertain you. It is a popular destination for weddings and other events.
The house was acquired in 1952 by the Oregon State Society, NSDAR, and restored. The pioneer cabin was reconstructed and opened as a museum in 1959.
The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
Header photo courtesy of Weebly.
Last Updated: July 10, 2023